WATERMELON AND TOMATO SALAD
• 1 lb. heirloom tomatoes in assorted colors
• ¼ lb. mixed cherry tomatoes
• 1 watermelon
• Red wine vinaigrette (see recipe below)
• Sea salt
• Black pepper
• ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
• ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, torn
• 1 tsp. Aleppo pepper
• 1 serrano chili, cut into paper-thin rings
Cut heirloom tomatoes into different shapes and sizes such as wedges and thick slices. Cut cherry tomatoes in half. Peel watermelon and cut into one-and-a-half-inch squares, making sure to remove the seeds.
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes and watermelon; drizzle with vinaigrette and toss to coat evenly. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Add basil, mint, Aleppo pepper and serrano chili, and toss. To serve, place on a large platter for sharing.
RED WINE VINAIGRETTE
Makes ¾ cup
• ¼ cup red wine vinegar
• Juice of 1 lemon
• ¼ cup pure olive oil
• ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, lemon juice and pure olive oil until emulsified, then whisk in extra-virgin olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Use right away, or cover and refrigerate for up to two days.