Before he was friends with Tom Cruise or the father of the Karate Kid (who would grow into that weirdo at Kanye and Kim’s wedding), Will Smith was The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Aside from launching Smith’s career, the TV show, which ran from 1990-96, introduced the world to a style icon.
Smith’s character, who was conveniently named Will Smith, consistently appeared in fresh looks, whether it was the latest Air Jordans or loud prints. And while you may never go on to save the White House from an alien attack, there are some style tips that every man can pick up from the Fresh Prince.
1. Don’t be afraid to put your own spin on black tie
2. Keep your sneakers clean, especially if they’re Air Jordan 11s
3. Sunglasses are a necessary accessory
4. Always pay respect to the style gods that came before you
5. Tank tops work best as layering pieces, not as standalone items
6. Details, like the lining of your blazer, matter
7. Football jerseys are back in
8. Even if you’re the Fresh Prince, jorts are NOT cool
9. When you put together the perfect outfit, ALWAYS take a selfie