The hula hoop was invented in 1958 by Arthur Melin and Richard Knerr, and while we don’t know what motivated them to create a device that would require people to shake their humps in rapid succession, we can make a pretty good guess. Here are 20 GIFs that prove why the hula hoop may be one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century.
1. Now this is a music festival we’d like to go to
2. Is there even a hula hoop in this one?
3. Those are some impressive skills
4. That is not how you use a hula hoop
5. Why does the camera keep moving up? The hula hoop’s around her knees
6. Is there anything Kate Upton can’t do?
7. … Sorry, what were we talking about?
8. Perfect hip rotation
9. What are they spraying her with?
10. I guess you can use it like a jump rope…
11. Ok, she’s just showing off
12. Dem jean shorts tho
13. We need a couple angles on this one
14. Is this sped up or did she just do a ton of cocaine?
15. High heels are probably not recommended hula hooping equipment
16. Excellent technique
17. This angle is very…flattering
18. Is she pushing her butt out to help keep the hoop going or just to make it look good?