Throwing a Super Bowl party? As a favor to your guests who want to eat more than delivery pizza, we’ve tracked down some of the best chefs in America and asked them to spill their favorite crowd-pleasing, game day recipes. Everything is delicious, simple to prepare, and pairs great with a beer.
Chef Jimmy Bradley, owner of The Red Cat restaurant in Chelsea, New York City, upgrades tailgate-friendly shrimp tacos by adding shaved cabbage, pickled jalapeños, and homemade tomatillo salsa.
Makes 12 tacos
48 shrimp (21-25s), peeled and vein removed
3 Tbsp. picked rosemary
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp. chili flakes
8 cloves of garlic, crushed
12, 6-inch wood skewers soaked in cold water
- Thread four shrimp onto each wood skewer. Place in a shallow dish.
- Mix all of the other ingredients together. Pour over the shrimp.
- Let shrimp marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to one day.
For Tomatillo Salsa:
10 medium-sizes tomatillos
1 small red onion, diced
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 lime, zest and juice 15 to 20 sprigs of cilantro, chopped
- Peel husk from tomatillos, wash them under warm water, and then dry.
- Toss five tomatillos with salt, pepper, and a splash of olive oil. Grill them until they are charred and lightly blackened. Puree the grilled tomatillos in a blender. Reserve.
- Dice the other five tomatillos and put in a mixing bowl. Add reserved tomatillo puree.
- Toss tomatillos with cilantro, red onion, lime juice, and zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let macerate for one hour before serving.
For Red Cabbage Salad:
½ head red cabbage, sliced thin
½ head green cabbage, sliced thin
1 red onion, sliced thin
2 carrots, grated
15 sprigs of cilantro, chopped
Olive oil to taste
Salt and pepper
The Method: Toss red and green cabbage with carrots, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
12 flour tortillas
1 small jar of pickled jalapeño
Shrimp Tomatillo salsa Cabbage salad
- Remove shrimp from marinade. Season with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill the shrimp about four minutes on each side.
- Grill tortilla for 30 seconds on each side.
- Put four shrimp in each tortilla. Top with cabbage salad and pickled jalapeños. (You can use the skewers from the shrimp to hold the tacos closed.)
- Serve with tomatillo salsa on the side.
Alyson Sheppard is the resident hangover specialist at Playboy.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amshep