When you go out to an upscale Italian restaurant in Midtown New York City, the last thing you expect is to leave bloody, horrified, and in the middle of a lawsuit. Unfortunately that’s exactly what happened to Aliona Russo during her meal at Villagio on the Park.

She was eating the fish when she felt something painful in her mouth and, much to her shock and disbelief, spit out a 2-inch bloody metal fish hook.

Diners from all over the restaurant gathered around and began taking photos. To make matters even worse, the restaurant refused to pay for her medical expenses, so she took legal action. According to her attorney it wasn’t as much about the physical injuries, her mouth was cut, but not severely, but more the mental damage done by nearly swallowing a fish hook.

The restaurant has still refused to comment on the incident.