While The Godfather I and II are both chock full of memorable quotes, just about the only line anyone remembers from the third Godfather installment is Michael Corleone’s rant, “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.” In 2016, many sneakerheads experienced a similar sentiment. A deluge of new releases and ever more people getting into the game may have greatly diminished the excitement around new kicks and made one think of just wearing beat-up Chucks from here on out. But all it takes is one rumor about the release of that one model in that one colorway for the thirst to be refreshed anew. That theory was confirmed by New York sneaker and streetwear consignment shop Stadium Goods recent release of its most expensive products sold in 2016.
While a couple of pieces from Supreme made the cut, including the most expensive item, a $50,000 Supreme x Rolex Submariner only given to friends and family of the brand in 2013, the rest of the Top 20 was dominated by sneakers.
The final list was a mix of old and new releases. The most expensive pair that Stadium Goods sold last year was the much revered Undefeated x Air Jordan 4. The sneakers, which originally came out in 2005, sold for $18,500. They were followed by the Sole Fly x Air Jordan 3 at $12,000. While Nike released an Air Mag with power laces last year, it was the original retro version of the shoe that came out in 2011 that rounded out the top three, netting $9,000.
Nike and the Jordan Brand (which is owned by Nike) each had seven shoes make the list. Adidas had four, the most expensive pair being a collaboration with Pharrell on a friends and family edition of the NMD Human Race that brought in $7,500. What’s most intersting is that no matter what brand Kanye West is affiliated with, his shoes still command exorbitant prices. Mr. West had six of his signature models on the list, four with Nike and two with Adidas.
You can see all of the sneakers on Stadium Goods list below:
- Undefeated x Air Jordan 4 Retro ($18,500)
- SoleFly x Air Jordan 3 Retro “Lotto” ($12,000)
- Nike Air MAG, 2011 ($9,000)
- Air Jordan 6 “Macklemore” ($8,500)
- Pharrell Williams x Adidas NMD Human Race “Friends & Family” ($7,500)
- Air Jordan 12 Retro “28 Days of Flight” ($6,000)
- Nike Hyper Adapt 1.0 ($6,000)
- Air Jordan 5 Retro “Pantone” ($6,000)
- Nike Air Yeezy 2 “Red October” ($5,500)
- Air Jordan 5 Retro T23 “Tokyo” ($5,000)
- Public School x Air Jordan 10 Retro “Family & Friends” ($5,000)
- Adidas Yeezy Boost 750 ($4,000)
- Nike Kobe 9 Premium “HTM” ($4,000)
- Adidas NMD R1 Primeknit “Pitch Black” ($3,500)
- Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 “Turtle Dove” ($3,500)
- Nike Air Yeezy 2 NRG “Pure Platinum” ($3,500)
- Nike Air Yeezy “Blink” ($3,500)
- Nike Air Yeezy “Zen Grey” ($2,700)