Earlier this month, Tomi Lahren, the loud-mouthed right-winger and host of her own nightly talk show Tomi on TheBlaze, was suspended for some controversial comments she made on The View regarding her pro-choice stance on abortion. “I can’t sit here and be a hypocrite and say I’m for limited government, but I think the government should decide what women do with their bodies,” the 24-year-old told the show’s hosts. “So stay out of my guns, and you can stay out of my body as well.”
After angry conservatives spouted some harsh words online toward Lahren, the 24-year-old—who once called refugees “rapeugees” and abortion doctors “baby killers”—took to Twitter.
I have moderate, conservative, and libertarian views. I’m human. I will never apologize, to anyone, for being an independent thinker.— Tomi Lahren (@TomiLahren) March 18, 2017
She later clarified, “I am not glorifying abortion. I don’t personally advocate for it. I just don’t think it’s the government’s place to dictate.“ But it was too little too late. TheBlaze’s head honcho Glenn Beck, who recently admitted that even he has been too divisive in his political rhetoric, handed Lahren some strong words. “I would disagree that you’re a hypocrite if you want limited government and yet you want the government to protect life of the unborn,” he said. “But it takes intellectual honesty, and it takes a willingness to actually think these things through and to do more than just read Twitter or Facebook to get your news and your political opinions.”
According to a Beck insider, the aforementioned backlash by outspoken conservatives turned Lahren’s week-long suspension into a permanent ban. “[Beck is] trying to balance being a leading conservative thinker and also someone who can unify the country,” the insider told the New York Post. “He just couldn’t sit by and watch as Tomi Lahren said there’s no way for conservatives to justify anything other than being pro-choice.”
TMZ has reported that following her suspension, Lahren wanted out of her contract instantly despite six months being left on it. She reportedly became insistent that her ban from TheBlaze was based on Beck’s jealousy of her rising-star status. “We’re told…TheBlaze was willing to pay her out, but that would mean Tomi couldn’t work until October,” TMZ stated early Monday afternoon. “Both sides are negotiating her exit and she will get less than six months of remaining salary but she’ll be able to take another job.”
Considering that Lahren loves controversy and boasts 4.2 million fans on Facebook and almost 700,0000 followers on Twitter, it won’t be long until the outspoken commentator lands another show of her own on another network. That will likely be a boon for Lahren, as TheBlaze is struggling as of late. Traffic to the site has declined from 29 million unique visitors in 2014 to 8.8 million in 2017—a loss of more than two-thirds of total traffic.
By those numbers, Lahren’s Facebook audience alone makes up for almost half of the TheBlaze’s readership, meaning Lahren as an individual is an attractive investment, if only for her social media following instead of her intellectual rigor. Whether it’s worth the risk of hiring such a combustible personality is another conversation entirely, especially since the downfall of Milo Yiannopoulos—but we do know of at least one network that might have an open slot for a controversial blonde commentator.