The Marvel’s Luke Cage panel last night at San Diego Comic Con was a lot like that drive-thru scene in Dude, Where’s My Car? There was a sizzle reel. And then? Jon Bernthal—Punisher from Marvel’s Daredevil—made an appearance. And then? The unveiling of the big villain from Luke Cage. And theeennn? The show’s new trailer. And theeeennnn? It went on like that for just over an hour. There were so many announcements and so much to get excited about, we’re giving it to you in bullet points:
- The Marvel sizzle reel included scenes from Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage; the latter premieres September 30 on Netflix. The scenes included villains from all three shows and the unveiling of Cottonmouth (Mahershala Ali), the big baddie from Luke Cage. The sizzle reel ends with new footage of Jon Bernthal walking away from an explosion.
- Jon Bernthal made an appearance, but he didn’t confirm whether or not he would appear in Luke Cage. Marvel and Netflix have ordered a Punisher series, so we’ll definitely see more of him at some point.
- The cast of Luke Cage—including Mike Colter, Mahershala Ali, Alfre Woodard, Theo Rossi and Simone Missick—came out onto the stage for a panel discussion.
- The 100 percent badass Luke Cage trailer (see above) showed Cage tearing the door off a car and using it as a battering ram to take on a dozen or more bad guys in a scene reminiscent of the hallway fight in Season 1 of Daredevil.
- Marvel announced there will be a third season of Daredevil.
- There was a surprise teaser trailer for Iron Fist, including a video introduction by actor Finn Jones who will play Danny Rand, a guy who disappeared after a plane crash and returned to New York years later as a kung fu master.
- And theeeennnn there was a another surprise teaser trailer—this one for for The Defenders, which will group Matt Murdock, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Danny Rand. The teaser peeled away graphics from the four character shows to unveil the logo for The Defenders—and the indelible riff from Nirvana’s “Come As You Are.”