Summertime doesn’t have to mean schlub time. The greatest gear is as cool as it is comfortable.
1. GEOMETRIC MEANS Swim shorts $75, jcrew.com
J. Crew’s neat geometric trunks are styled like shorts, with a front pocket and a waist tab.
2. TIKI TALK Boardshorts $125, mnii.com
Get your tiki on with M.Nii’s vintage-style print shorts, which come with a handy button-flap back pocket.
3. NOIR AND THEN Swim shorts $240, mrporter.com
Robinson Les Bains’s black pair combines French savoir faire with quick-drying high-tech utility.
4. NO SHOES, NO PROBLEM Flip-flops $22, volcom.com
Volcom rethinks the flimsy flip-flop with its Recliner rubber sandal. A quilted rubber-sponge sole provides unencumbered comfort and added durability all summer long. The contrasting color scheme brings the requisite sartorial snap. Also available in black with red straps.
5. STRIKING STRIPES T-shirt $115, ovadiaandsons.com
Ditch the deep vee. (There’s only one place we want to see cleavage, and it’s not on a dude.) Toss out the tank. Stick to a classic pocket tee in a sophisticated black-and-white stripe. By New York designer brothers Ovadia & Sons, in cooling and resilient bamboo and cotton.
6. TAN AND VAN Slip-on sneakers $55, vans.com
The original Vans slip-ons, loved dearly by skaters and surfers, get a timely update in a cool tropical print.
7. TOP IT Straw hat $160, barneys.com
Eugenia Kim’s men’s line, Mr. Kim, gets shady with a straw fedora with alternating stripes and a dented crown.
8.SUNSET HIP Sunglasses $500, mrporter.com
Ride off into the sunset anytime via Cutler and Gross’s ultimate mirrored aviators. A reflective coating cuts harmful glare and keeps things oh so mellow.
9. GRAB & GO Backpack $120, chromeindustries.com
Chrome’s street-tough Yalta biking backpack, now recolored in high-visibility blue, also stands up to sand, salt spray and summer rays.
10. CAMO CHAMELEON Beach towel $55, saturdaysnyc.com
Saturdays Surf NYC lays it out in black and white with a supersize safari-camo cotton towel.