Just in time for 4/20, the guys at Food Steez are all about incredible comfort food, like mac and cheese. But how about turning it up a notch with cannabis and short ribs? Here, the show us how to make this new twist on an American classic.
• 2 ½ pounds Beef Short Ribs bone-in, cut into 2-3 inch pieces
• Coarse Salt and Pepper, to taste
• 2 Tbl Olive Oil
• 1 Sweet Onion, Sliced
• 3 Cloves Garlic, Sliced
• 2 Tbl Tomato Paste
• ¾ Cup Red Wine or 1 ½ Cups Beef Broth
• 4 Rosemary Sprigs
For the Cannabutter:
• ¼ oz of preferred cannabis, finely ground
• 1 stick of butter
• strainer or cheese cloth
For the Mac and Cheese:
• 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces)
• 2 tablespoons Cannabutter
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• ¾ pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed • 1-½ cups half-and-half cream
For the Short Rib: __ - Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil over medium/high heat in a ceramic coated cast iron pot.
- Coat the short ribs in coarse salt and pepper and place in the hot pan.
- Cook until deep golden brown and then flip each piece over and brown on the other side.
- Remove the ribs from the pan to a plate.
- Add the onion to the hot pan and sauté until onion is translucent, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for another 30 seconds, coating the onion.
- Add the red wine, if using, and let it reduce by one half. Add the beef broth and bring to a simmer. If you are not using the wine, simply add in the beef broth and bring to a simmer.
- Put the short ribs back in the pan. Toss in the rosemary sprigs, cover with a lid, and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 2 to 2 ½ hours, or until ribs are fall off the bone tender.
__For the Cannabutter:
- Fill a small pot ½ way full with water. Bring it to a boil and then down to a simmer. Place a small pyrex bowl over the top to create a double boiler. The water level should be just below the pyrex bowl.
- Chop or grind up cannabis finely.
- Place butter in double boiler and wait until its completely melted down. Once melted, add thefinely ground cannabis.