As always, the guys at Food Steez know how to throw down on some awesome BBQ recipes. But how about taking ribs one step further with ginger? Here, the show us how to make this new twist on an American BBQ classic.
• 1.5 kg (3 lb) rack of pork ribs
• 1 small onion, roughly chopped
• 8 garlic cloves, peeled
• 15 cm (6 inch) piece of ginger, peeled & roughly chopped 160 ml (51⁄2 fl oz)
• hoisin sauce (we prefer Lee Kum Kee brand)
• zest of 1 orange
• 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
• 2 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
• 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon sherry or white wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1. Slice the racks of ribs into segments with 3 or 4 bones on each.
2. Place all of the remaining ingredients into a food processor and whizz until you have a smooth consistency.
3. Place the the ribs into a large ziplock freezer bag and pour the marinade into the bag. Use your hands to make sure the ribs are completely coated in the marinade. To ensure against leakage, I would put everything into another ziplock freezer bag. Seal the bag and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.
4. Take the ribs out of the fridge and let them come to room temperature (this will take about 20-30 minutes).
5. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a large roasting tray with foil and place a roasting rack over it. Pour some boiling water into the tray, but the water should not touch the meat when on the rack. Otherwise, if your rack is not high enough, you can skip adding water to the tray (which helps to create steam to cook the meat without drying it out too much).
6. Place the ribs onto the rack, but reserve the marinade.
7. Roast for 30 minutes, and then turn the oven temperature down to 160°C (325°F). Roast for a further hour, turning the ribs once or twice during this time to get an even colouring. Add more water to the tray if needed.
8. Meanwhile, pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan and bring it to the boil. Let it simmer at medium heat for about 5 minutes and until it has reduced and thickened slightly.
9. Serve the ribs with the sauce drizzled on top.